Main topics - Knowing when it's time to move on | How to gracefully quit your job. Hey! I'm out of the studio this week and hope you enjoy this Best...
Dr. Stafford did his undergraduate work at Bob Jones University and went to Temple University in
Philadelphia for medical school. After 14 years practicing in New Jersey, Dr. Stafford moved to South Carolina in 2003. He practiced with University Medical Associates in Greenville for two years before opening Cornerstone Family Medicine in 2005 in Greer, where he lives. Dr. Stafford and his wife, Carol, have four children.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [3 min 15 sec] Tell us about your career journey. Dr. Stafford is a family physician. Grew up in Pennsylvania. Undergraduate at Bob Jones. Medical school at Temple University. Started his own practice in New Jersey, where he did his residency. Sold the practice, worked at Bob Jones for two years, and then opened up a practice in Greer, SC.
- [4 min 52 sec] Worst career failure? Sued twice for malpractice in New Jersey. Felt betrayed by his patients. Prompted their move to South Carolina. Lesson: Learn to depend on Christ for those things you can’t control.
- [9 min 12 sec] Biggest career success? Starting two family physician practices from scratch and being successful at it. What contributed to the success? Providing service to patients in the way he’d like to be treated.
- [15 min 50 sec] Ever been confused about which career direction to go? Wasn’t sure what field of medicine to go into. Drawn to both family medicine and emergency medicine. Worked in both sectors, gravitated to family. Lesson: Dip your toe in the arenas you think God would have you go until the Lord directs your steps. Also, was confused about whether or not to go to SC. After making the decision to go, God confirmed the move with a job offer at Bob Jones.
- [21 min 57 sec] Ever been faced with a challenge to your faith in the workplace? As a teen, volunteered at a hospital. One of his bosses told him to go get him some cigarettes. Said no. Was told not to come back. Soon after, a doctor called young Keith and asked why he wasn’t there anymore. Keith told him. The doctor said they had fired that guy. The doctor got Keith a paying job at another hospital. God rewarded Keith’s faithfulness.
- [25 min 31 sec] What three business tips can you offer to aspiring business owners? 1) Be careful with debt. 2) Find a niche. What can you do or what can you offer that you can do better or differently than others. 3) Don’t sacrifice your family or spiritual life in order to build a business.
- [26 min 58 sec] What one book would you recommend? Entre Leadership by Dave Ramsey
- [27 min 36 sec] How can people connect with you? firstname.lastname@example.org | www.cfmofgreer.com
- [30 min 06 sec] Biggest weakness? Trying too hard to please people.
- [30 min 55 sec] Biggest strength? One-on-one connection with people.
- [32 min 56 sec] How are you using your career to impact others for Christ? The way we approach people they know that we are believers. Facilitates conversations. (RR: Dr. Richard Furman’s example of sharing the Gospel with cancer patients. Listen to Dr. Furman’s interview by clicking here.)
- [35 min 58 sec] Has God directed you down a path that didn’t make sense to you? Didn’t get into medical school the first time. Was unsure what to do. Taught science in a Christian school for a year. Applied again, and rejected again. Was about to take an alternative career path when, just in time, God opened the door to medical school.
- [39 min 46 sec] Personal habit that contributes to your success? Dependability
- [40 min 12 sec] Your number one business habit for success? Never be satisfied
- [40 min 43 sec] Productivity tool? Computer skills. Most important course in high school was typing.
- [42 min 43 sec] Career advice to high school seniors? Learn a marketable skill. Don’t throw away opportunities to learn. Back to typing, never knew when he took that typing class how much of an impact it would have on his life.
- Entre Leadership by Dave Ramsey
- Get a free audio book with a free trial of Audible.
- Knights of Siena Fencing Academy
- Amazon.com. Shop Amazon.com via this link and a portion of each purchase will go to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Samaritan Ministries If you apply, please list Robbie Romeiser as your referrer to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Amazon Prime (Free Trial Offer)
- Get a FREE audio book at Audible.com.
- Daily devotions from Robbie Romeiser at TodaysQuoteFromGod.com.
Subscribe to Career Callings Radio!
Robbie Romeiser is a commercial real estate broker, real estate instructor, and author of the daily devotional Today’s Quote From God (www.TodaysQuoteFromGod.com). Desiring to help his own children follow God’s calling in their lives, Robbie founded Career Callings (www.CareerCallings.net) to help people find, prepare for, and pursue the work God has called them to do. To have Robbie speak at your church, business, professional association, or civic club, please email Robbie at email@example.com.