Happy April 10, 2017! I hope you enjoy this encore performance of Career Callings Radio from June 28, 2016 God bless! - Robbie Romeiser Herb Eplee was raised in an...
Happy February 20, 2017! I hope you enjoy this encore performance of Career Callings Radio from June 20, 2016 God bless! – Robbie Romeiser
Os Hillman is president of Marketplace Leaders, an organization whose purpose is to help men and women discover and fulfill God’s complete purposes through their work and to view their work as ministry.
Formally Os owned an advertising agency but is now an internationally recognized speaker on the subject of faith at work. He is the author of 17 books and a daily email devotional called TGIF Today God Is First which has thousands of readers in 105 nations. Os hosts a national radio show, Faith, Work and Culture with Os Hillman. Os has been featured on CNBC, NBC, LA Times, New York Times, and many other national media as a spokesperson on faith at work. He is a regular contributor to TenTen magazine, ChristianPost.com, CharismaNews.com, and Crosswalk.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [3m 40s] How did you get where you are in your career today? Career in advertising for 12 years. All was well until year 12. Then, marriage failed, lost half million dollars in an investment scam, and 80% of business walked out the door. Seven year season of struggle and doubt. Gunnar Olson, founder of the International Christian Chamber of Commerce, taught Os that he had a Joseph calling, which is a marketplace call that is often signified by someone going through extreme struggle as a prelude to becoming a spiritual and physical provider to others.
- [7 m] How does your business generate revenue for you. Daily devotional called Today God is First. Books, seminars on the concepts of spirituality in the workplace. Change Agent Video Series and workshops to teach people how to be a change agent in their workplace.
- [9m 54s] Top 3 Lessons Taught in the Change Agent workshops: 1) Understand your purpose, 2) Understand what Bible says about work, 3) How to hear the voice of God in their work-life calling.
- [16m 26s] What is one personal habit you consistently adhere to that you would label as a major contributor to your career success? Starts the day off with Bible reading and prayer.
- [20m 20s] Was there a time in your life when you were confused about which career path(s) God would have you follow? When/how did the smoke clear so that the career path(s) became evident? 1998, Os had launched a magazine called in Christians in Business, which was struggling. Couldn’t raise enough money to keep going. Unsure what to do next. Decided to fast until God gave him an answer. Fasted 40 days. On the 40th day, was in a conference where one of the speakers was a man from South Africa with cerebral palsy who was a great prayer intercessor. From the podium he read a prophecy in detail about a man, and he described Os’ life. They met, and the man said that God wasn’t going to raise up the magazine but was going to raise up something that Os would think insignificant. Turned out to be the devotional, Today God is First. Lesson: Quit trying to figure God’s path out on your own. Seek God’s wisdom.
- [24m 6s] If you could recommend just one book for our listeners, what would it be and why? Business Unlimited by Gunnar Olson. It’s like seeing the Apostle Paul in business. Oswald Chambers devotions. Not Knowing Where by Oswald Chambers. Upside of Adversity, From the Pit to Greatness by Os Hillman.
- [26m 15s] What advise would you give to high school seniors: Find a mentor that is willing to spend time with them and that they respect. A mentor who is where they want to be. Os has had four such mentors.
- [29m 45s] Worst moment of career: In 1994 when finances, family, and business tanked. At 43, he was in such great shape he could have retired. When all fell apart, he was down to his last $1,000. Lesson: Failure is often a part of life. We need to learn how to fail forward so that we can learn from those lessons. Sometimes adversity is designed to cause a nature change, not just a habit change.
- [35m] Best moment of career: Been rewarding to right books and to help people acquire their own “aha” moments from my experiences.
- [36m 40s] Aha moment: 1995 when he met Gunnar Olson. Helping him understand the Joseph calling.
- [38m 35s] What is your biggest weakness: Building relationships and connecting with others was biggest weakness. Tragedies made these a strength.
- [42m 47s] What is your biggest strength: Leadership. Able to see the big pictures, trends, how to get things done by building a team to get things done.
- [45m 34s] Productivity tip. Know when you are the most productive and be disciplined to maximize that productive time.
- [48m 45s] Has there been a time(s) in your life when God directed you down a career path(s) that you didn’t want to go down or didn’t make sense to you? What happened? What lessons did you learn? Times when he felt that he wasn’t the right man for the job. Lesson: Whether you feel like it or not, follow the Lord’s prompting. Whenever something pops into your head that is not a “natural thought,” it is likely the Lord’s prompting.
- Business Unlimited by J. Gunnar Olson
- Not Knowing Where by Oswald Chambers
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
- Free AudioBook Version of My Utmost for His Highest via Audible
- The Upside of Adversity by Os Hillman
- Free AudioBook Version of The Upside of Adversity via Audible
- Other books by Os Hillman
- Get a free audiobook by Os Hillman via Audible
- Amazon.com. Shop Amazon.com via this link and a portion of each purchase will go to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Samaritan Ministries If you apply, please list Robbie Romeiser as your referrer to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Amazon Prime (Free Trial Offer)
- Get a FREE audio book at Audible.com.
- Daily devotions from Robbie Romeiser at TodaysQuoteFromGod.com.
Subscribe to Career Callings Radio!
Robbie Romeiser is a commercial real estate broker, real estate instructor, and author of the daily devotional Today’s Quote From God (www.TodaysQuoteFromGod.com). Desiring to help his own children follow God’s calling in their lives, Robbie founded Career Callings (www.CareerCallings.net) to help people find, prepare for, and pursue the work God has called them to do. To have Robbie speak at your church, business, professional association, or civic club, please email Robbie at email@example.com.