Chris Patton is President/CEO of the Mike Patton Auto Family in LaGrange, Georgia, a three-dealership group with roughly 100 employees representing Honda, Ford, Lincoln, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram franchises. Chris also writes a blog (ChristianFaithAtWork.com) to business owners and leaders who are working to integrate their Christian faith into their businesses. He and his wife Kim live in LaGrange, GA with their three teenage children.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [2 min 52 sec] Tell us about your family. Two twin daughters: seniors in high school; one son: college freshman; wife third grade teacher.
- [3 min 30 sec] Summary of your career journey. Started working for dad very early because of family business of car dealerships; after college came back to car business.
- [5 min 12 sec] Biggest career failure/challenge? Patton was trying to integrate a one-price selling system that initially hurt profits, and there was a period of time (about 18 months) where work was a nightmare.
- [10 min 27 sec] What kept you anchored during that challenge? The thought and feeling that it was God’s will and the desire to not turn away from God’s plan because of financial distress.
- [19 min 43 sec] How are you using your career to impact others for Christ? Patton had originally thought that he needed to quit the business to do God’s will; but through a series of events, this assumption was proved wrong; he then realized that he could impact others for Christ in his current workplace.
- [ 26 min 37 sec] Productivity tool for workplace. nozbe.com: application for managing assignments and tasks
- [27 min 36 sec] How can people connect with you? ChristianFaithAtWork.com (includes social media links); email: email@example.com
- [30 min 30 sec] Can you give me one or two examples of how you are adding silhouettes (souls)? Patton hired a corporate chaplain. His office manager is saved and is growing in The Lord due in large part to the chaplain’s ministry.
- [ 34 min 16 sec] Biggest career success. Living the faith out in the business.
- [36 min 24 sec] Any personal habits that drive career success. Daily quiet time with God.
- [38 min 38 sec] What about a business habit? Hiring and surrounding yourself with great people.
- [41 min 12 sec] Three things you would tell a start-up business owner. Determine your personal mission or purpose and align your business with that; determine core values; take time to sharpen your thoughts.
- [43 min 57 sec] #1 recommended book and why. In His Steps by Charles Sheldon
- [45 min 22 sec] Blog or a work that Patton has done. blog started out as kind of a journal just to write about living out your faith at work. Later grew in reach, leading to a seminar series with pastors and lay people in India.
- [48 min 50 sec] Advice for high school seniors. Find Godly mentors and listen to them.
Subscribe to Career Callings Radio!
Robbie Romeiser is a commercial real estate broker, real estate instructor, and author of the daily devotional Today’s Quote From God (www.TodaysQuoteFromGod.com). Desiring to help his own children follow God’s calling in their lives, Robbie founded Career Callings (www.CareerCallings.net) to help people find, prepare for, and pursue the work God has called them to do. To have Robbie speak at your church, business, professional association, or civic club, please email Robbie at firstname.lastname@example.org.