Click here to listen now! Main topic(s): Fear can cause a bad career choice. Know thyself: Introvert? Extrovert? In between? Helpful Links: Celebrity Phobias (YouTube) COMMENTARY: When faced with difficult choices,...
Motivationeer Christian Coaching, LLC began from the personal motivation of its founder, Shawn Sommerkamp, to bring the virtues of Christ’s teachings into corporate America. The dream began after giving his life to Christ in 1991, while serving in the U.S. Navy Submarine service. Twenty years later, with a career spanning three of the largest Fortune 500 companies in the world and one software start-up, Shawn put his vision to action and created a company focused on teaching corporate Christian professionals the source of true motivation.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [2 min 33 sec] Tell us about your family. Married 17 years. Met his wife online! Married four months later!
- [4 min 14 sec] Tell us about your current vocation and how God has led you to this point in your career. Founded Motivationeer Christian Executive Coaching five years ago. After getting saved, felt like he was supposed to get into full time ministry. God never opened those doors, so he went into corporate America. Eventually met his first executive coach, and when he did he understood that he was supposed to offer executive Christian coaching as a way to reach people for Christ.
- [6 min 20 sec] Biggest career challenge: Doesn’t believe in challenges or failures. He believes that every circumstance brings opportunities. Realized through Jeremiah 17:9 that his heart (emotions) is deceitful and has tried not to let his emotions get the best of him. In his earlier days, he did let his emotions rule him. One time he got emotional about a decision and became insubordinate with his boss. In return, he was removed from his position of leadership. Learned that he needed to govern his emotions and his outlook on circumstances. Started engaging in what he calls detached involvement, i.e., not attaching his emotions to the outcomes of circumstance.
- [9 min 54 sec] What was your biggest career success? Being able to climb the corporate ladder so that he would have larger audiences to influence for Christ. He saw each advancement as a greater opportunity to share Christ with his co-workers.
- [17 min 44 sec] Time where you were confused about which career path God wanted you to take. Was confused when God did not open the door to full-time Christian ministry. He then realized his workplace was his mission field, so he determined to make the most of each work opportunity that presented itself, working diligently so that he would have a platform to share Christ wherever he was. Referenced Acts 17 that God places us where he wants us to be. Also referenced Gideon in the Book of Judges, that God will send us in the strength we have. When he met his first executive coach, he saw clearly that his next platform was that of a Christian executive coach. Proverbs 16:9 KJV – A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps. Proverbs 16:33 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) – The lot is cast into the lap, but the decision is wholly of the Lord [even the events that seem accidental are really ordered by Him]. Story of roller coaster ride. Lesson: Like a river, go with God’s flow. Also, as we enjoy the ride of the Christian life, others will see our joy and will be drawn to Christ.
- [23 min 42 sec] How are you using your current career to impact others for Christ? Helps his clients create predictable, repeatable, profitable careers. Gets to use the Word of God everyday to help them do that. The Bible has all of the keys to business success. Shawn feels that he is in 100% ministry each day.
- [25 min 14 sec] Have you ever had a challenge to your faith in the workplace? How did you react to it? To stand firm in the faith when two other senior leaders in the company he worked for at the time actively opposed his efforts in his own department. Once he found out that they were opposing him because of his Christianity, he decided to be MORE vocal about his faith in response, which actually led to improvements in his department.
- [28 min 10 sec] #1 personal habit that drives career success. Figured out his power hours – the ones where he is most creative and productive. His are early in the morning. For some of his clients, it’s afternoon. Others, at night.
- [29 min 27 sec] #1 business habit that drives career success. Writes down his ideas. Doesn’t trust his memory. Todoist. Workflowy.
- [33 min 04 sec] Productivity tool. Todoist
- [34 min 00 sec] What three things would you recommend to a business owner to do in order to be successful: 1) Determine what your best client acquisition strategy is. 2) Nurture those clients by giving them tons and tons of value. Proverbs 11:25 KJV- The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. 3) Detached involvement – work on your plan without getting hung up on the outcome.
- [35 min 46 sec] #1 book (besides the Bible) that you would recommend. The Toyota Way by Jeffrey Liker. It is the ultimate guide to thinking efficiently in business. The 12-Week Year by Brian Moran and Michael Lennington.
- [38 min 56 sec] Advice for high school seniors. Never sacrifice long-term growth for short-term gain.
- [40 min 16 sec] Best way to connect with you. Text the word EAGER to the number 44144.
- Motivationeer Christian Coaching, LLC
- Jeremiah 17:9
- Proverbs 16:9
- Proverbs 16:33
- Proverbs 11:25
- Story of roller coaster ride
- The Toyota Way by Jeffrey Liker
- The 12-Week Year by Brian Moran and Michael Lennington
- Career Direct Assessment
- Amazon.com. Shop Amazon.com via this link and a portion of each purchase will go to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Samaritan Ministries If you apply, please list Robbie Romeiser as your referrer to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Amazon Prime (Free Trial Offer)
- Get a FREE audio book at Audible.com.
- Daily devotions from Robbie Romeiser at TodaysQuoteFromGod.com.
Subscribe to Career Callings Radio!
Robbie Romeiser is a commercial real estate broker, real estate instructor, and author of the daily devotional Today’s Quote From God (www.TodaysQuoteFromGod.com). Desiring to help his own children follow God’s calling in their lives, Robbie founded Career Callings (www.CareerCallings.net) to help people find, prepare for, and pursue the work God has called them to do. To have Robbie speak at your church, business, professional association, or civic club, please email Robbie at email@example.com.