[Photo: Jim Michaud | For NBC News] In the article Highly Educated, Unemployed and Tumbling Down the Ladder, NBC News recounted the job search troubles of many highly-educated Americans. Although the article...
Happy November 13, 2017! I hope you enjoy this encore performance of Career Callings Radio from November 7, 2016. God bless! – Robbie Romeiser
Ed Deese spent nearly 30 years in the ministry in both associate pastor and senior pastor positions. Since 2005, he has been a sales specialist with Rochester Insurance, which specializes in P&C insurance for churches and Christian ministries. Ed presently services a book of personal business with churches that exceeds $4M.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [2 m 02 sec] Tell us about your career journey. For the last 12 years has worked with an insurance company that offers insurance coverage to churches, Christian schools, and ministries. Prior to that, spent 28 years in the ministry, mostly as a senior pastor.
- [3 m 40 sec] How do you use your workplace as your mission field? Offers counsel to the ministry leaders he sells insurance to. Pastors normally don’t have pastors. He has become that adviser to many of his clients.
- [6 m 45 sec] Ever had a challenge to your faith in the workplace? Not so much in the workplace. When he was a teenager, though, sometimes ridiculed for carrying his Bible around. But, when people needed advise, they often turned to him because of his character.
- [10 m 29 sec] Ever been confused about which direction God wanted you to go? When a young-married person, he was working in the life insurance business. Didn’t think it was supposed to be long-term. God called him into the ministry. Took him some time to get comfortable with that.
- [18 m 28 sec] Your number one personal habit for success? Keep in regular touch with your clients.
- [21 m 30 sec] Productivity tool? An industry-specific email customer relationship manager. Using a digital calendar. To-do list. (Robbie mentioned Gmail, Google Calendar, Constant Contact, Mailchimp, Rebump)
- [24 m 47 sec] What three business tips can you offer to aspiring business owners? 1) Pay attention to people. 2) Understand your market. 3) Follow up.
- [26 m 09 sec] What one book would you recommend? Developing the Leader Within You by John Maxwell.
- [27 m 26 sec] What one piece of career advice would you give a room of high school seniors? Listen carefully to individuals that you trust and are more knowledgeable and experienced than you are.
- [28 m 29 sec] How can people connect with you? email@example.com
- [30 m 43 sec] Worst career failure? Very first message he ever preached. It was horrible because he trusted in his own power rather than seeking God’s power before speaking.
- [35 m 18 sec] Biggest career success? Building organizations (churches) that could keep running once he left.
- [40 m 03 sec] Biggest weakness? Making phone calls.
- [ 44 m 04 sec] Biggest strength? Building relationships with people.
- [48 m 03 sec] Career confusion? Started out as an education major, but realized that wasn’t his thing. Took a couple of jobs. One day a pastor asked him to be his assistant. God worked in his heart, and he took that path.
- Developing the Leader Within You by John Maxwell
- Gmail, Google Calendar, Constant Contact, Mailchimp, Rebump
- Get a free audio book with a free trial of Audible.
- Knights of Siena Fencing Academy
- Amazon.com. Shop Amazon.com via this link and a portion of each purchase will go to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Samaritan Ministries If you apply, please list Robbie Romeiser as your referrer to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Amazon Prime (Free Trial Offer)
- Get a FREE audio book at Audible.com.
- Daily devotions from Robbie Romeiser at TodaysQuoteFromGod.com.
Subscribe to Career Callings Radio!
Robbie Romeiser is a commercial real estate broker, real estate instructor, and author of the daily devotional Today’s Quote From God (www.TodaysQuoteFromGod.com). Desiring to help his own children follow God’s calling in their lives, Robbie founded Career Callings (www.CareerCallings.net) to help people find, prepare for, and pursue the work God has called them to do. To have Robbie speak at your church, business, professional association, or civic club, please email Robbie at firstname.lastname@example.org.