Photo courtesy of Tristan Schmurr. Main topic(s): 2 Simple Steps to Discovering Your Career Calling Why isn't your career going anywhere? Click here to listen now! Helpful Links: ARTICLE: God appreciates...
David DeWitt has a held a variety of sales and management positions across three industries, and he currently uses his successful experiences to help business owners build strong, healthy businesses through his management consulting business.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [1 min 55 sec] Tell us about your career journey. Three industries. Jewelry, car, software industries. First job out of college was selling Volkswagens. Plan was to go into business with his father to run a family jewelry business. Father died. David ran the business for awhile, and then went back into the car biz for a bit. Then, he moved on to the software industry, where he spent the bulk of his career.
- [6 min 16 sec] Worst career failure? Father retired from the company he worked for, then started the jewelry biz they had dreamed of. But, father started it with a partner, and the biz wasn’t making any money. David couldn’t work in the biz as planned. Then, dad died, and David moved in to do what his dad had done. David soon realized that his dream was to work with his father in the biz, not work in that particular business. Also, all eight children were equal owners of the biz, but David was the only one working in the biz. He didn’t like having seven other bosses who weren’t doing anything. David got the biz profitable, and then left for Boston. Lesson: Be clear on your dream, and follow your dream. Also, don’t be afraid to pivot and go in a new direction when God bids you to.
- [15 min 44 sec] Your number one personal habit for success? Persistence and goal setting. Sets BHAGs – Big Hairy Audacious Goals. Sets a goal and then plans out the steps (milestones) that he needs to take to accomplish that goal. Then, persistently pursues those steps.
- [18 min 21 sec] Your number one business habit for success? Be the best you can be at whatever it is that you are doing. Ecclesiastes 9:10 (KJV) – Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. David’s attitude is that if he can’t be the best he can be in something, he probably shouldn’t be trying that thing.
- [19 min 26 sec] What three business tips can you offer to aspiring business owners? 1) Pray and set your priorities up front. 2) You need a well thought out business plan with a sustainable, profitable revenue growth plan. 3) Look for a mentor or accountability partner.
- [23 min 28 sec] What one piece of career advice would you give a room of high school seniors? Figure out and follow your own dream. Use the Career Direct Assessment to help figure that out. It’s a deep dive into what kind of work God made us to excel at. Best assessment he has ever taken out of dozens he has taken over his career. Figure that out before going to school.
- [26 min 57 sec] How can people connect with you? email@example.com | 978-239-0522
- [29 min 46 sec] Biggest career success? 1) Closed his first million dollar deal with the software company. 2) Smoothing over bad relations with Adobe. Both successes stemmed from a desire to build relationships with people.
- [36 min 30 sec] Biggest weakness? Details and administration.
- [38 min 00 sec] Biggest strength? Building relationships with people. Setting strategy and determining the direction an organization should go.
- [39 min 02 sec] Career confusion? When in car business, got really good at it, but the hours were long. Too much time away from family and church. Made a decision to forget the money and truly seek God’s path for him. God opened up a door to go to work at a company that required him to take a 30% pay cut at first, but it gave him more time with family and church. Eventually retired from this firm.
- [42 min 56 sec] How do you use your workplace as your mission field? Now has a management consulting business. Advises people how to start a business that honors The Lord.
- [44 min 30 sec] Ever had a challenge to your faith in the workplace? Yes, from an unexpected source. Once wanted to start a Bible study at work. Christian boss said no. Didn’t want to offend non-believers.
- [48 min 51 sec] Ever been confused about which direction God wanted you to go? While at the software company, went from loving his job to hating it when the focus of the company went from growth-orientation to cost-cutting mentality.
- [54 min 22 sec] Productivity tool? Using a digital calendar.
- [56 min 01 sec] What one book would you recommend? Good to Great by Jim Collins. (Robbie: Great by Choice by Jim Collins and Morten Hansen)
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- Great by Choice by Jim Collins and Morten Hansen
- Get a free audio book with a free trial of Audible.
- Knights of Siena Fencing Academy
- Amazon.com. Shop Amazon.com via this link and a portion of each purchase will go to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Samaritan Ministries If you apply, please list Robbie Romeiser as your referrer to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Amazon Prime (Free Trial Offer)
- Get a FREE audio book at Audible.com.
- Daily devotions from Robbie Romeiser at TodaysQuoteFromGod.com.
Subscribe to Career Callings Radio!
Robbie Romeiser is a commercial real estate broker, real estate instructor, and author of the daily devotional Today’s Quote From God (www.TodaysQuoteFromGod.com). Desiring to help his own children follow God’s calling in their lives, Robbie founded Career Callings (www.CareerCallings.net) to help people find, prepare for, and pursue the work God has called them to do. To have Robbie speak at your church, business, professional association, or civic club, please email Robbie at firstname.lastname@example.org.