Greenville, SC area listeners, please go to our Special Interview With Teach Me Morpheus page for a copy of the broadcast for August 17 and August 22. Raleigh-Durham area listeners,...
- The Career Struggles of Millenials
- What Recruiters are Looking for
- Where Millenials Went Wrong and How They’re Paying the Price
- The Surprising Reason College Grads Can’t Get a Job
- Five Facts About Today’s College Graduates
- Parody: Millennials in the Workplace Training Video
- Young People Lack Workplace Skills, Firm Say in Survey
- TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT!: 5 Online Jobs that Really Pay
From Robbie on the February 14, 2015 Career Callings Radio Show:
Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation or Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends. Researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.
Much has been written about this generation’s work-related challenges and plights. Some quick stats:
- They are the most educated generation in human history, yet they have the highest share of people who are unemployed in the last 40 years [USA Today]
- Young people aged 18 to 34 have struggled with double-digit unemployment and account for half of the 10.9 million unemployed Americans, according to government figures.
- In a recent report, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York went deeper and looked at underemployment among recent grads (defined as people aged 22 to 27 with at least a bachelor’s degree). They found that in 2012, about 44% of grads were working in jobs that didn’t require a college degree. The share of underemployed recent grads in low-wage jobs (defined as below $25,000/year) rose from about 15% in 1990 to more than 20%. About one-in-five (23%) underemployed recent grads were working part-time in 2011, up from 15% in 2000.
Now, why is this happening to these folks? Lots of factors…
Recommended Reading: 30 Lessons for Living…
Robbie Romeiser is a commercial real estate broker, real estate instructor, and author of the daily devotional Today’s Quote From God (www.TodaysQuoteFromGod.com). Desiring to help his own children follow God’s calling in their lives, Robbie founded Career Callings (www.CareerCallings.net) to help people find, prepare for, and pursue the work God has called them to do. To have Robbie speak at your church, business, professional association, or civic club, please email Robbie at email@example.com.