Click here to listen now! Main topic(s): Fear can cause a bad career choice. Know thyself: Introvert? Extrovert? In between? Helpful Links: Celebrity Phobias (YouTube) COMMENTARY: When faced with difficult choices,...
Happy September 18, 2017! I hope you enjoy this encore performance of Career Callings Radio from September 12, 2016. God bless! – Robbie Romeiser
Photo courtesy of Brad Montgomery.
Marshall Shannon has more than thirty years of ministry leadership experience with eighteen years as senior pastor of a growing church. He has been involved in training young men for the ministry, assisting church planters, and directing mission endeavors.
He started his business, Ministry Design Concepts, out of a burden to help ministries overcome the frustrations and lack of resources so many ministries face. By connecting ministry leaders with trusted industry professionals, through his coaching services, and by providing ministry audits and encouragement, Marshall is dedicated to combating the challenges faced by the 21st church.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [2m 19s] Tell us how God has directed your career. Had a lawn care business in high school. Also was invited into management with a retail business (as as teen). Trusted Christ as a teenager. Church member suggested Christian college. Expected to stay in business. God called him to preach at the Christian college. Now offers executive coaching to help pastors be better pastors. Also works with a church building contractor to guide churches through building projects.
- [6m 48s] How did the Lord direct you away from business into ministry? Summer after graduation from high school, met a youth pastor that broadened his view of God. The Holy Spirit kept pressing Marshall to go to a particular Christian college where he was called into the ministry. Later found out his parents were praying that he would go to that college. Marshall really fought the call, but God and his parents won out! Lessons: 1) Great evidence of biblical decision making step #4 – peace in your heart. Colossians 3:15, Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) – And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ’s] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always]. 2) Keep your ears open to listen to God. 3) Keep your relationship with God at the forefront of your life.
- [19m 44s] Any career confusion? How did God clear the “smoke”? Church position going well. Felt God leading him to resign and go in a different direction. Didn’t understand why God would take him away from such a good thing. Left without knowing the exact next step. Ended up doing executing coaching for pastors, enabling him to impact many more congregations than just his one.
- [26m 39s] Recommended book: Trusting God by Jerry Bridges
- [27m 46s] How connect? email@example.com. 864-977-1632
- [30m 22s] Worst career failure. Retail store moved him into management. It was not a job that was compatible with his strengths. He failed to meet metrics. Learned how to understand what is and what is not a good career fit by understanding his strengths and weaknesses.
- [34m 32s] Biggest career success. Got an opportunity to re-start a church that was a failing startup church. Learned how to build a team of people to grow the church.
- [37m 30s] Biggest weakness & strength. Weakness: Listening. Strength: Shepherding people.
- [40m 10s] Faith ever been challenged in the workplace? No direct, anti-Christian confrontation. Just faced with trying times. Have learned that tests of faith are designed to draw us closer to God. Need to look at trying times with that understanding in mind.
- [44m 20s] Personal success habit: Focus on relationship with The Lord first and foremost in his life.
- [45m 48s] Business success habit: Reading personal development materials so he can grow professionally.
- [47m 49s] Productivity tool: 1) Insightly customer relationship manager software. 2) Strengths Finder 2.0 book to understand your strengths and weaknesses. Assessme.org. Placeministries.org.
- [51m 18s] Business tips: 1) Make sure you can monetize what you want to do, 2) Understand the service you are offering, 3) Know who your ideal customer is (Don’t be too broad here, be very narrow (niche) in identifying your ideal customer.).
- [54m 18s] Advice for high school seniors: Take an assessment to learn how God packaged you with strengths, weaknesses, values, personality, etc. DISC Profile.
- Trusting God by Jerry Bridges
- Strengths Finder 2.0 from Gallup by Tom Rath
- DISC Profile
- Get a free audio book version of Trusting God or Strengths Finder 2.0 with a free trial of Audible.
- Knights of Siena Fencing Academy
- Amazon.com. Shop Amazon.com via this link and a portion of each purchase will go to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Samaritan Ministries If you apply, please list Robbie Romeiser as your referrer to support the Career Callings Radio Show.
- Amazon Prime (Free Trial Offer)
- Get a FREE audio book at Audible.com.
- Daily devotions from Robbie Romeiser at TodaysQuoteFromGod.com.
Subscribe to Career Callings Radio!
Robbie Romeiser is a commercial real estate broker, real estate instructor, and author of the daily devotional Today’s Quote From God (www.TodaysQuoteFromGod.com). Desiring to help his own children follow God’s calling in their lives, Robbie founded Career Callings (www.CareerCallings.net) to help people find, prepare for, and pursue the work God has called them to do. To have Robbie speak at your church, business, professional association, or civic club, please email Robbie at firstname.lastname@example.org.